Monday, September 26, 2005

Smoked Salmon Salad

Last week, when I went to the store looking for salmon steaks (there weren't any, so I had to use a flaky fillet instead), I discovered that Bel Air (a California grocery) actually had a product I have been in search of for quite some time: dry smoked salmon.

For some silly reason, it's almost impossible to find smoked salmon that isn't close to sopping, which sort of defeats the purpose.

My purpose, at least. "Old Fashioned" smoked salmon is almost completely dry, very flaky, and won't spread. But my husband calls it "the food of the gods" and utterly loves it. Of course, he thinks it should be eaten by itself, and so the following recipe is of no use to him.

You will need:
Spring greens or torn lettuce (no iceberg, please!)
Carrot curls
Raisins
Old-fashioned smoked salmon
1 hard-boiled egg, cut into slices
Kalamata olives
Feta cheese crumbles
Yellow or red bell pepper, cut into very thin strips (optional)
Olive oil

Toss the greens, carrot, raisins, and bell pepper, and put into bowls. (Yes, you can use a plate, but I've found shallow bowls much better for salads.) Scatter the egg, kalamata olives, and feta over the salad; top with shreds of salmon. (Make sure you remove bones.) Lightly drizzle olive oil over the top and serve immediately.

No comments: